August 2022 Member of the Month: Rep. Troy Nehls (R-Texas)
The Big Picture
FreedomWorks is excited to recognize Rep. Troy Nehls as our Member of the Month for August 2022. First elected to Congress in 2020, Nehls represents Texas’ 22nd Congressional District which includes portions of Fort Bend, Brazoria, and Harris counties.
Before arriving in Washington, Nehls served his community in law enforcement and the United States Army Reserve. At age 19, he enlisted and was deployed on combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. He retired with the rank of Major and as the recipient of two Bronze Star medals. In law enforcement, Nehls spent twenty-six years serving For Ben County in various roles including Constable and Sheriff.
As a freshman in Congress, Nehls boasts an impressive lifetime score of 90 percent on the FreedomWorks Scorecard, including a 92 percent so far in 2022. He serves on both the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure as well as the Committee on Veterans Affairs.
Fighting ESG and protecting American jobs
Rep. Troy Nehls introduced H.R.8507, the Scope 3 Act
- This bill prohibits publicly traded companies from being required to disclose or provide their green-house-gas emission or consumption information of their value chains (Scope 3 emissions) under the securities laws of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
- On March 21, 2022, the SEC proposed rules for climate change disclosure requirements for both U.S. public companies and foreign private issuers. These include…
- Climate-related risks and their actual or likely material impacts on the registrant’s business, strategy, and outlook;
- The registrant’s governance of climate-related risks and relevant risk management processes;
- The registrant’s greenhouse gas (“GHG”) emissions;
- Certain climate-related financial statement metrics and related disclosures in a note to its audited financial statements; and
- Information about climate-related targets and goals and transition plans, if any.
- Over 1,300 grassroots activists joined FreedomWorks Foundation and submitted comments to the SEC opposing this rule.
Why it Matters
Rep. Troy Nehls is quickly establishing himself as a conservative stalwart in Washington. As a freshman, he is standing up for Texas values and maintaining a stellar voting record.
You can follow Rep. Nehls’ work in Washington on Twitter and Facebook. Of course, follow FreedomWorks’ coverage of the excellent work of members like Rep. Nehls on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
We thank Rep. Troy Nehl for his excellent work promoting freedom and fiscal responsibility and are excited to honor him as our Member of the Month for August 2022. We look forward to watching as he continues the fight for individual liberty.