The Big Picture
Rep. Yvette Herrell was born and raised in New Mexico’s 2nd Congressional district, one of the largest that does not encompass an entire state. Before coming to Congress, she was a successful small business owner and served eight years in the New Mexico House of Representatives. While serving in the state legislature, she was a founding member of the Article V Caucus, which promotes federalism and a limited role of the federal government.
During the 2020 election cycle, Rep. Herrell unseated a Democrat incumbent in a crucial swing district. She is proving once again that you can win elections by sticking to conservative principles–principles that she is making a point to take with her to Washington.
Since first coming to Congress, Rep. Herrell is pushing forward innovative conservative policy solutions. Not only is she a member of the House Freedom Caucus but the Republican Study Committee as well. She sits on both the House Committee on Natural Resources and the Committee on Oversight and Reform.
In the House of Representatives, Rep. Herrell backs conservative policy solutions that help everyday Americans while getting the government out of the way.
- She introduced H.R. 3275, the PUMP Act, which suspends the federal gas tax, providing much-needed relief for American families.
- She is an original cosponsor of H.R. 3377 the Gigabit Opportunity Act; this bill promotes the development of rural broadband through opportunity zones.
Rep. Herrell is making the needs of her district a top priority.
- A large area of concern for Rep. Herrell is President Biden’s anti-fossil fuel agenda. President Biden placed a moratorium on new drilling leases on federal lands.
- More than half of New Mexico’s oil production occurs on federal lands, and nearly one-third of New Mexico itself is federal land.
- Rep. Herrell is also highly critical of President Biden’s mismanagement of the border crisis. Her district in New Mexico encompasses nearly 180 miles of the southern border.
Why It Matters
Rep. Herrell is making an impact as a genuinely conservative freshman in the 117th Congress. It is essential to have members actively promoting limited government policies on Capitol Hill. Hopefully, more members will follow her example as she continues the fight for liberty.
You can follow along with Rep. Herrell’s work in Washington on Twitter and Facebook, and of course, follow FreedomWorks’ coverage of the excellent work of members like Rep. Herrell on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram as well.
We thank Rep. Yvette Herrell for her incredible work promoting freedom and are excited to honor her as our member of the month for June 2021. We look forward to watching as she continues advocating for limited government and conservative policy solutions representing New Mexico’s 2nd congressional district.