The Big Picture
A North Carolina native, Rep. Bishop’s family has called the Tar Heel State home for generations. His family originally hails from the 9th District’s Bladen County; the Congressman currently lives in Charlotte, the city of his birth.
In 2019 Rep. Bishop entered a hotly contested special election for North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District. After securing nearly half the vote in a crowded primary that included ten candidates, Rep. Bishop went on to win the general election and serve as one of the most principled conservatives in the House of Representatives.
A member of the House Freedom Caucus, Rep. Bishop has taken North Carolina conservatism to Washington D.C., where he sits on the House Judiciary and Homeland Security committees. In a House of Representatives controlled by Speaker Nancy Pelosi, it’s essential to have voices like Rep. Bishop speaking up.
- As a member of the North Carolina General Assembly, Rep. Bishop voted to cut taxes and protect election integrity by requiring a photo ID to vote.
- Earning a 100% grade on our 2020 Scorecard, Rep. Bishop’s success is evidence that members can still stick by their principles in a competitive district and crucial swing state such as North Carolina.
- Today, Rep. Bishop is on the front lines of the fight against the spread of Critical Race Theory (CRT) from our university system to our public elementary and secondary schools, federal employee training, and military.
- Rep. Bishop has introduced H.R. 3134, The Combatting Racist Training in the Military Act, which bans the teaching of CRT at our nation’s military and service academies
- Additionally, he introduced H.R. 3179, the Stop CRT Act, which codifies the Trump administration executive order on CRT in federal employee trainings as well as prohibits federal funds to entities that promote CRT.
- He is an original cosponsor of H.R. 3163, the CRT Act, which bans taxpayer dollars for CRT in our public schools and prevents any federal entity that teaches CRT from receiving taxpayer funding.
Why it Matters
Members like Rep. Dan Bishop are essential to the fight for liberty on Capitol Hill. Elected conservatives have to push forward legislation that underscores the foundational principles of the United States.
You can follow along with Rep. Bishop’s work in Washington on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, and of course, follow FreedomWorks’ coverage of the excellent work of members like Rep. Bishop on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram as well.
We thank Rep. Dan Bishop (R-N.C.) for his excellent work preserving freedom and are excited to honor him as our member of the month for May 2021. We look forward to watching as he continues to fight for limited government and serve the constituents of North Carolina’s 9th congressional district.