As government expands, liberty contracts.
-President Ronald Reagan
President Obama claims government needs major, structural reform. He is absolutely correct. He is absolutely wrong, however, about the solution. As President, Mr. Obama has increased spending, executive orders, policy czars, environmental regulations, health insurance mandates, the national debt, taxes on future workers and so on. The list is practically endless.
In another election year ploy, Mr. Obama claims reorganization will save money. This is bogus. As disingenuous as President Clinton was in claiming, “The era of big government is over.” Disastrously, Presidents Bush and Obama have expanded government to the detriment of freedom and prosperity.
President Reagan correctly analyzed, “As government expands liberty contracts.” Liberty gives everyone a choice in how to invest their time, intellect and resources, which is the genius that propels a great society. Obama’s czars, debts, taxes and government edicts retard innovation and human expansion.
Reagan, in his famous Berlin speech at Brandenburg Gate, extolled liberty and prosperity:
…. importance of liberty—that just as truth can flourish only when the journalist is given freedom of speech, so prosperity can come about only when the farmer and businessman enjoy economic freedom.
Lower taxes, tariffs and regulations propelled West Germany past the totalitarian East Germany, and Reagan proudly proclaimed:
“Freedom leads to prosperity. …”
Freedom and prosperity are what America needs – immediately. Presently, the only proposal to offer a solution is the Tea Party Budget. In order to survive, America must reform our basic systems of governance; the federal government protects our nation, and the state and local government take care of our day-to-day needs. The Tea Party Budget suggests the following actions to advance freedom and prosperity in America:
- Repeals ObamaCare in total.
- Eliminates four Cabinet agencies — Energy, Education, Commerce, and HUD — and reduces or privatizes many others, including EPA, TSA, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac
- Ends farm subsidies, government student loans, and foreign aid to countries that don’t support us – luxuries we can no longer afford.
- Saves Social Security and greatly improves future benefits by shifting ownership and control from government to individuals, through new SMART Accounts
- Gives Medicare seniors the right to opt into the Congressional health care plan.
- Suspends pension contributions and COLAs for Members of Congress, whenever the budget is in deficit.
Yes, it is a bold plan. But just as President Reagan challenged the Soviet Union to “tear down this wall,” America must reduce the power and scope of federal government. America must tear down the walls of its our own government and make drastic changes in order to save our country. We must stop the expansion of government for freedom and prosperity to excel.