400 Capitol Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
- Toll Free 1.888.564.6273
- Local 202.783.3870
Dear FreedomWorks member,
As one of our million-plus FreedomWorks members nationwide, I urge you to contact your senator and ask him or her to vote YES on the following amendments to S. 1789, the 21st Century Postal Service Act introduced by Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT), that may be considered this week. There are a series of amendments that will be considered and we may score the following amendments as key votes if they come up for a vote.
• Amendment 2025, introduced by Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), would designate an individual’s mailbox to be his or her own property. Currently, the inside of your mailbox is considered USPS property, thus giving them a monopoly over the delivery of your mail.
• Amendment 2039, introduced by Sen. Rand Paul, would prohibit the USPS from collectively bargaining with a union. The postal workers’ union is standing in the way of nearly every major reform that the Postmaster General has recommended to restore the Postal Service’s solvency. From pension reform, to five-day delivery, to the closing of underused post office branches, nothing can be done until the power of the union is broken.
• Amendment 2028, introduced by Sen. Rand Paul, would establish a pilot program for alternatives to using the USPS to deliver mail. This would be an important step towards allowing full competition in first-class mail delivery.
• Amendment 2045, introduced by Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC), is the National Right to Work Act. This amendment would end forced unionism in America to ensure that no one is forced to pay union dues in order to get or keep a job.
• Amendment 2046, introduced by Sen. Jim DeMint, is the Paycheck Protection Act. It would prevent the Postal Employee’s union from using members’ dues to finance anything not directly related to union administration.
I urge you to call your senator and ask him or her to vote YES on the above amendments to S. 1789, the 21st Century Postal Service Act. We may count their vote on each of these amendments and others as a KEY VOTE when calculating the FreedomWorks Economic Freedom Scorecard for 2012. The Economic Freedom Scorecard is used to determine eligibility for the Jefferson Award, which recognizes members of Congress with voting records that support economic freedom.
President and CEO
[Click here for a PDF version of this key vote notice.]